Growing shop bought Garlic.

Community Community General Gardening Sowing and Growing Growing shop bought Garlic.

This topic contains 10 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  ElizaD 5 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Paul
    Participant

Following Charles’ advice (can’t remember which book) I decided to grow Garlic from the supermarket.
    Last year I bought 3 garlic bulbs from a well known supermarket for 50p a pop,they were called extra large garlic.
    There was no variety named only country of origin-Spain.
    I planted 21 cloves on 24th oct 2017 along with 6 bulbs worth from Kings at a cost of £15.
    Now I have no problem with the garlic I’m growing from Kings,it’s doing really well and I should be harvesting in a few weeks.
    Now getting back to the supermarket garlic,it turned out to be hard-neck,I cut the scapes off a couple of weeks ago,they were lovely.Then last week they just went over,so I decided to have a look.On Friday I harvested 21 of the biggest garlic bulbs I have ever grown,thanks Charles..”Every little helps”

charles

Hello Paul and this is such a nice result, thanks for sharing.
    I am also intrigued that the hardneck garlic has matured already, because mine are still swelling, as they mature later than softneck.
    Best of luck with regrowing them!

Paul
    Participant

Yes I plan to keep 3 of the bulbs to re-grow,I was just going to buy all from the supermarket next year.
    Although when I started to think about it,supermarkets change their suppliers/stock etc quite frequently so hopefully They still stock it next Oct so I can buy six lol.
    I urge everybody on here to give them a go.
    One month after planting there was about 4 inches of really strong broad leaves whilst there was no signs of the Solent wight,they are really vigorous.

fzjohnson
    Participant

As an addition to the supermarket garlic … my neighbouring allotmenteer said the ‘dried instant peas’ from Sainsbury are a good way to grow peas (he was partly right) and the lady in our independent bakery said Waitrose’s living salad provides ample lettuce seedlings. I tried both. Waitrose … amazing lettuce harvests and stunning varieties I wish I could put a name to … Sainsbury peas, hmmmm. germination is patchy but the plants are strong.

Green pasture
    Participant

I, too have grown dried marrowfat peas from the supermarket, a 1kg bag. I used them for shoots (which I grew from time to time in a tray). Initially germination was good but did get worse over time and now after 4 years the last batch I tried was disappointing, but to be expected.

“they” say we shouldn’t plant supermarket garlic (and potatoes) due to the introduction of diseases. I understand plants grown for consumption aren’t checked the same way as plants grown for further cultivation. But it is expensive to do so; I was disappointed with my yield of official solent white from 2 bulbs bought for £10!!

Sandra
    Participant

I have also planted shop bought garlic and had good results. I had a variety of garlic in the ground from last year’s October planting and harvested them last week. I had a mixture of hard and soft neck garlic, I can never remember which is which, but the ones with the scapes did better than the others and I will plant those again this year. Incidentally, I have never eaten the scapes, I have always replanted them. I have never planted them separately or written down anything about them, but I will keep a little diary now and see how things go for the next year and they will have an area to themselves from now on. I usually replant late September/early October.

ElizaD
    Participant

I thought I might try some garlic for the first time and saw this post. If I buy supermarket garlic is there anything I should particularly look for other than largish bulbs? I presume you just split the bulb and take off the papery skin and plant the cloves? If I plant say the middle of this month when would I harvest? I have a raised bed which will just sit empty for winter so may as well give it a go. By the way I am in Somerset. PS what a joy to be still harvesting outdoor tomatoes instead of throwing blighted plants on the compost heap! Still harvesting outdoor cucumbers too. Best summer for years.

Many thanks, Eliza

ElizaD
    Participant

Bumping up last post, Eliza

Stringfellow
    Participant

You’re along the right lines Eliza, but I don’t spend too much time removing the papery skins; doesn’t happen in nature. Bear in mind that they will be taking up residence for most of the main growing season next year, but following them with autumn brassicas or winter salads could be good. Enjoy growing and eating your own garlic 🙂

Cleansweep
    Participant

Eliza, I grew ‘shop’ garlic,described as ‘IOW organic’ from a village shop in Lulworth.
    It produced magnificently, now second season so can recommend. Personally, I shall plant early November, in N Hampshire, as although its nice to see it up, it will overwinter best if not too tall and exposed. I mulched it with hay ,this year just prior to the Beast from east. No slug damage was seen.
    Good Luck

ElizaD
    Participant

Many thanks Stringfellow and Cleansweep. I shall purchase some supermarket garlic and see what happens! Do you think I should wait and sow in November when I am sowing my broad beans or sooner?

Thanks, Eliza

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags