Growing squash vertically

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables Growing squash vertically

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  charles 7 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Chode
    Participant

Hi Charles

At your talk in Birmingham last month, you mentioned that you were going to try growing squash plants up on supports. I was wondering how it was going – I have tried it for two plants, and they seem to be happy enough so far. My problem was getting suitably strong, twisted branches to form the supports – not sure they are tall enough, but time will tell.
    Regards

Conor

Chode
    Participant

Sorry, original photo too large for uploading.
    Conor

charles

Squash plants have a way of climbing where you don’t expect – I put a tripod in for some, and they are reluctant, while others are climbing all over the pallet of a compost heap side.
    Yes your branches must be well anchored and you may need to tie in a stem or two.
    On the whole, they do better sprawling on the ground where they can make new roots off each stem.

lizzy
    Participant

Hi I have sent you a couple photos of my U Kuris growing up the back of the garage. Lots of leaves not huge numbers of fruit but of good size. I did not realise they would root if they are on the ground. I think the garage roof – which is flat – gets very hot – they seem to avoid growing over the roof. I tied them onto canes until they got to the top then they clambered into the guttering – to my husbands horror! We are trying to persuade them to grow on the flat roof now – he has hauled them out of the gutter which was starting to buckle under the weight.

charles

They look good.
    I am with your husband and feel sorry for the gutter.
    And the hot roof may not suit them, I would give generous water at the roots.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags