Hardneck Garlic ready to harvest?

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables Hardneck Garlic ready to harvest?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Dazzerelli 10 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Dazzerelli
    Participant

Some leaves are yellow, most plants are still upright. I’m wondering whether giving them a good watering and another week or two will result in bigger bulbs or maybe it’s best to harvest now?

Darren

charles

Hi Darren,

You could try harvesting some now and watering a few to harvest later, I am finding it hard to judge vecause they are later than usual and  are enjoying heat more than the usual rain. If any tops fall over that suggests harvest time has arrived. I have planted some winter cabbage and kale between my Solent Wight, which is still growing, but all the others are out and drying beautifully.

Incidentally, bindweed loves this heat :-(

Dazzerelli
    Participant

Thanks for the advice Charles. I’ve just finished planting big plants of PSB and Romanesco between any Garlic that looks like it still has some legs and harvested the rest. Looks like a good year for Garlic with the ones that I harvested being a really nice size. Hard work in these temperatures though. Sounds like I’m not coping with the heat as well as your bindweed.

Darren

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags