Harvest no dig Garlic

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables Harvest no dig Garlic

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Stringfellow 7 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Matthew
    Participant

Hello Charles and all users.

First post on the forum but much advice gained from the forum.

Looking forward to havesting a large crop of garlic in the summer assuming all goes well.

One question I didn’t ask you Charles on the course back in November was how you harvest your garlic with minimum disturbance to the soil.

I usually use a fork to loosen the soil enough then pull.

Having spead 13 cubic meters of aged mushroom compost by hand I wish to use these beds after havest for other crops. Its doing a great job in supressing weeds with just the pesky couch grass trying to grow and lots of worms on what was a sandy dead field. I just dont wont to ruin the stucture that is being created and bring yet more weeds up.

What would people suggest.

Thanks, Matthew

Stringfellow
    Participant

Great job with the compost Matthew, I imagine you felt that the next day!

I use my trusty copper trowel to severe roots around each bulb and then twist out to minimise disturbance. However, some disturbance is inevitable and I wouldn’t let it keep you awake at night.

Would be interested to hear if there is an easier or improved method used by anyone.

charles

Tris’ advice is good, use the trowel to lever gently, each bulb. In moist weather they may pull out without a trowel, because you are harvesting before the end of June, not in July or even (as sometimes advised!) in August.
    So tops are quite green at harvest, meaning you get a good pull of the bulb, needing less loosening.
    I would not use a fork to loosen the soil, that breaks many fungal threads.

Stringfellow
    Participant

Thanks Charles. Twisting out from moist soil sounds like a great way of minimising disturbance. Arthur at our local site lost all his leeks one year as some thief visited during a long wet spell – walked along the row and just pulled them all up, no need to dig at all. Thankfully these incidents are uncommon.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags