Harvesting Charlotte potatoes

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables Harvesting Charlotte potatoes

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  charles 6 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Mike Green
    Participant

Hi Charles
    I hadn’t realised that Charlotte spuds will keep over winter until I had read a couple of your books.
    It is one of my favourite earlies, so I planted lots with a view to storing over winter. They are now beginning to go yellow, so should they be harvested now (Early July)? My main crops won’t be harvested for another couple of months.
    The reason for my question is that you do suggest harvesting at this time when grown under plastic mulch. Mine are not plastic mulched.
    Thanks
    Mike Green

charles

Hello Mike and yes, you can harvest from now, perhaps one more week for larger tubers.
    I don’t remember stipulating harvest now only for plastic mulched crops, as apart from year one of weedy soil I grow, and recommend to grow, without polythene.

Mike Green
    Participant

Hi Charles
    You were discussing harvesting when grown under plastic – thanks for the advice re. harvesting now. The tubers are huge already following cucurbits – no dig. I am so impressed! I have never had such large Charlottes.
    Thank you very much for your fantastic advice, my allotment is transformed since I discovered no dig.
    All the best
    Mike

charles

Great to hear, thanks Mike.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags