Harvesting Green Seeds

Community Community General Gardening Sowing and Growing Harvesting Green Seeds

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  bluetempest2 10 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

bluetempest2

I am probably not the first to ask this question but after trawling through some interesting forums on the Internet on the Topic of harvesting green coriander seeds I found that there are a few growers who have tried this method of harvesting the green seed two weeks after flowering and drying out ( 3 weeks – stated) in a shaded , warm / dry area in a brown paper bag to great success of brown dried coriander seed ready to use in culinary dishes.
    Some would ask why not leave until it is ready on the stalk itself – but I have little growing space and require the pots where the spent coriander have now finished their flowering finale.
    If this is a given- though not a natural drying seed process , could the same be done with Wild rocket, land cress , parsley?

Mick

charles

I did not know you could do this. thanks for sharing it. Green coriander seed is delicious to eat as well, crunchy and strong flavoured.

As for other seeds, why not try it? If it is parsley, best use an overwintered plant rather than one flowering from an early sowing this year, as parsely is biennial and keeping seed from a "bolter" might increase that tendency. Once I get things straight here I want to do more seed saving.

bluetempest2

Hi Charles, the blog( forum) enthusiast said he was using it for culinary purposes but I will keep you posted as I will use it for both ( culinary and seed) I might try the land cress and wild rocket also but not parsley.
    Thanks for the tip.
    Mick

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags