Harvesting Runner Beans

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables Harvesting Runner Beans

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Sausage 5 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Sausage
    Participant

I’ve been having a bumper crop of runner beans this year, with plenty picked all through summer. I am leaving the last for shelling for seed and eating but something odd is happening. There are some lovely big green bean pods, but they have been lovely and big and green for the past few weeks. They aren’t getting bigger, so they’ve reached full size, but they’re not drying and going brown. I have Emergo, Scarlet Emperor, White Lady and Gigantes and they are all like this, even though they’re all in different areas and conditions. Should I leave them until the frost hits, or pick them now even though they are still green?

charles

Sausage the problem is lack of light and warmth, in November.
    I would pick them all now, before the pods start to decay. Shell them out and any fat ones may dry, but probably you are looking at eating them fresh.And not keeping them for seed.
    I find they keep for up to 2 weeks in a fridge before cooking, or freeze them.
    For seed crops, leave some plants unpicked all summer.

Sausage
    Participant

Oh poo. I did leave specific plants, but the beans have been this size for the last 16 or 17 weeks. Absolute whoppers too. Have I discovered some sort of freaky everlasting bean? Will get picking tomorrow. Thanks for answering!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags