Has anyone else seen this with their onions?

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables Has anyone else seen this with their onions?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Richard Bambury 9 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Rhys
    Participant

We sowed around 100 onions from sets in March and all has proceeded reasonably swimmingly in a weed-free, no-dig bed.

However, I”ve noticed a few (less than 10) have done the very strange thing of almost wrapping their leaves around on each other in a way that almost looks like you’ve tied a knot!

I’ve never seen it before and wonder if there is any reason for it, if anyone knows whether it’s due to doing something wrong or whether it’s merely a strange phenomenon of nature??

charles

It is strange indeed, I notice it sometimes on garlic and cut the leaf which it is growing thtough to free the head. They have personality issues as well, dread to think what it signifies!

Richard Bambury
    Participant

Sounds like stem and bulb eelworm. Just happened to me !
    Dig them all out and dispose off site. Don’t grow alliums in that bed for several years.

Rhys
    Participant

I think you’re right. The pictures online fo this look exactly what I’ve got.

Have you dug up your entire sowing or just those which are infected??

Richard Bambury
    Participant

All onions grown from sets bought from Auchan hypermarket near Dunkirk are infected and will be dug out when time permits at the weekend. Strangely, 2 rows of shallots in the same bed look very healthy. Maybe the infection was in the sets. Also a row of module sown Sturon from seed next to the infected row looks ok so far.
    In Sept I might just risk the wrath of our EU masters and sterilise the bed. My granny always did it and it never killed her.

englishlady

Hi Richard

How would you go about sterilizing the bed, just out of curiousity ?

Best wishes

Julie

Richard Bambury
    Participant

During the early post WW2 period up to about 1957 we lived with my grandmother in what was then very rural Devon. Sanitation solutions were provided by a large galvanised bucket beneath a wooden plank with a large hole in it. The bucket and plank were located in a windowless ( sometimes door less ) shed. The bucket was always given a generous dollop of Jeyes Fluid before the contents were buried in a deep trench in the garden.
    This treatment, my Gran always assured me, killed anything harmful. The trench area was left fallow for a year and then early Autumn the surface area was drenched with a Jeyes Fluid solution ( 1 desert spoon to 1 gall water per sq. yard) ready for planting next spring.
    We always seemed to have pest free vegetables and wonderful soil and didn’t die of anything.
    This info is for historical interest only as the EU have banned the use of Jeyes for any purpose except as a patio cleaner unless you live in the USA where use as a sterilant is still allowed.
    But seriously I don’t think I wish to use a coal tar product where my veg will grow!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags