Hello from India!

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground Hello from India!

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Neilfrazerm 5 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Gautam Mandewalker
    Participant

Hi,
    My name is Gautam Mandewalker. I am from Bengaluru/India and I practice Natural farming.

I am very much fascinated with no-dig method and using compost.

I want to practice this in 1 Acre land.

I had the below questions, please help me with those:

1. How much compost will be needed for 1 Acre land?(Is there any calculation which can be used??)
    2. If I don’t buy the compost from a third party, how much time and organic waste will it need to create such a quantity? (Is there any calculation which can be used??) (We have hotter days than UK, 15 deg to 35 deg)
    3. We get a lot of Cowdung here (I mean abundant!), what can be the other ingredients with cowdung to create a balanced compost(like a combination of monocots, dicots, dry leaves, green leaves, cowdung etc etc.?
    4. In case of heavy rains(it’s usually pretty heavy ), will the compost from the bed get washed away? What if there are water logging issues in the next to beds?

charles

Hello Gautam and welcome.
    How much compost depends on your soil quality now, what you plan to grow, how often, and it may be less than you think.
    Your conditions are so different that I can’t give precise answers. Plenty of cowdung is promising.
    No dig soil in my experience drains well and the compost does not wash away unless recently applied and on a fair slope.

Hawfinch
    Participant

Hello Gautam,

on youtube there are two people who have or still farm in India. One, work with nature, farms in Kerala, if you look through his videos there is lots about compost etc. The other one, the natural farmer, is now in Sicily, but before that he also farmed in India for several years and has many videos on soil, compost, mulching etc. Good luck.

Neilfrazerm
    Participant

Hi Guatum,
    Interesting to think an idea has travelled sound the world so quickly. Benefit of internet I guess.
    I think most people would be reticent to make any suggestions to you as India is such a huge place with desert, tropical, temperate and significant cultural differences across the subcontinent. Also the resources available are very different.
    It would be useful to know what your seasons are like. Temperature, rainfall, predictability, soil type and crops required etc all make a big difference.
    BR
    Neil

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags