Hello from New Member

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground Hello from New Member

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  charles 10 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Geek Girl

Hiya, just joined this lovely site!

I turned over a lot of my lawn in my small garden to veg plots this summer. I grew some great courgettes, but didn’t bother with anything else, as it was still a work in progress til the middle of September.

Of course I HAD to dig this first time – to remove the turf and loosen up the soil, but really interested in No Dig from now on.

Can anyone offer me advice? I have grown fruit and veg before, but never used this method. Any helpful tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Geeky.

Pete Budd
    Participant

Hi Geeky, I`ll keep it brief and its only my opinion; it can be difficult to grow some veggies in your back garden due to shade and competition, stick to summer crops and start a compost bin.

Cheers

Pete

Geek Girl

Hi Pete, yes I will. Tho I am lucky and my garden is not shady and faces south-ish (more like south-south east). After years of being all lawn I think I need to work on soil fertility too.

I think I can get a cheap compost bin via my local council, and also have a few stables nearby where I can get manure.

I do want to grow some kale for next winter though, as I use it a lot.

Thank you for replying.

G x

charles

Hello Geek Girl,

Welcome to the site, I am intrigued you say "Of course I HAD to dig this first time – to remove the turf and loosen up the soil"

Really you don’t! and removing turf loses fertility from your plot.

Anyway that is history. I would cover now with manure to kill more turf, see No Dig Vegetable banner at top, you may have enough manure (4-6in) to need no cardboard.

Look out for Daubenton perennial kale plants, or sow May for big plants by winter eg Thousand Head.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags