Help, I have no initial compost to start!

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground Help, I have no initial compost to start!

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  charles 9 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Hi Charles,

There s a  real possibilty I may be taking on two acres in the Spring to start a small growing operation. Up until recently I ve been going to follow conventional methods but I ve recently been strongly inclined towards considering no dig. Now i m in a  real fix. What do I use as my initial compost/mulch layer ?! I can t afford to buy in tons of compost and don t have time to make any good stuff of my own. I m starting out on a patch that seemingly has no weeds whatsoever, just grass,  but its been sprayed for a number of years and used as sheep grazing.  I don t really want to turn over the soil and put plastic down because that seems to defeat the object. Are there better options with such  limited time? I have to say yes or no to them next month!

Any advice that you may have would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks

James

charles

James, I would not do this, because growing is so marginal economically that you will probably lose money without the benefits of compost – less weeds, less time spent weeding, less pest and disease, higher yields. 

If you can’t afford compost now, I don’t see how you can finance a start-up either. For me it is the most important investment. At this stage you could use cheaper but well rotted animal manure, unless there is none available locally.

Hello James.  I’ve found that it really is vital to have compost/composted manure to spread before you start growing.  Even if the underlying soil is fertile the compost gives you a pretty clean surface to plant or sow into.  I’ve tried small areas just mulching with silage sheet to kill weeds and then planting in to the (clean looking!) soil.  Weed control is almost impossble, especially in wet conditions and grass weeds are difficult to kill by hoeing.

Ask around and you may well find friendly farmers with manure.  My experience with local farmers has been really positive and I’ve found them interested in what I’m doing.  I’ve been fortunate to meet a local cattle farmer who delevers manure in exchange for vegetables.

If you start small (1/4 acre or so) you won’y need so much manure and can still grow a surprisingly large quantity of veg, then grow as demand for your produce grows.

Black silage sheet is good for killing a large area of grass, but I’d get it on as soon as possible. Spread some manure before putting the sheet on.

All the best! Andy

charles

Hi Andy, this sums it up well.

And as you say, grass is indeed difficult to weed on heavy soils, without compost.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags