Help with mulch options in hot summer environment of SW France.

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground Help with mulch options in hot summer environment of SW France.

This topic contains 12 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  ElleGee 6 years ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

PouleChick
    Participant

Hi Charles and everyone else :),
    I live in SW France (a couple of hours north of where you lived from what I can work out) and I’m now entering my 3rd year of gardening (so my head still feels like it is going to fall off with all the stuff I’m trying to learn and remember!), 2nd year of no dig (the first year for my first beds I rototilled (not knowing anything else)) then mulched with straw.

Our climate seems to be fairly mild (with odd freezing weeks) winters with fairly high rainfall, damp springs, hot dry summers and lovely long dryish autumns. Our soil is quite rich and decent although we are in the Perigord Blanc so quite alkaline. The first year I used Ruth S’s methods and mulched heavily with straw and I’m pretty happy with that system in terms of keeping the soil a bit moister in the heat and the dry (first gardening summer we had no rain at all for 3 months!) and weeds down. I then discovered your way of doing things so last year I tried to do it your way but had to buy in bags of ‘terreau’ (which I now think was the wrong stuff and not really compost!) which I mixed with my small amounts of compost but I still put straw over the top as well to help with the dry summer climate.

I have just collected a big trailer load of well composted horse manure (she said it has been there a few years)- it is hard to tell if it is crumbly with all the rain it is quite wet but seems to be totally broken down and is rich and dark and even putting my nose right up I can’t smell any ‘horse poo’ smell. My gut feeling is that this stuff is fantastic (and all the lady wanted was some sweets for her kids as a thank you gesture!) but I’d like to get it right after last years not very decent feeding of the soil.

So I have some questions before I dump a tonne of horse poop incorrectly!

*Do I need to take up the existing straw on the beds before laying the composted manure or can I just put it on top?
    *How thick should I apply it?
    *I have a few bags of earth that I’d bought in before I found the broken down horse poop – should I mix it all together or should I just put it on the gardens as it is?
    *Should I continue with putting straw on top to help with the heat / evaporation of water and weeds or will this years decent compost be enough (obviously totally different to the UK)?
    *Any other tips for gardening in this climate (I’m an Aussie transplant who has never gardened before!)?

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help me πŸ™‚

charles

Sounds alright although I am surprised you have not been building slugs under your straw in the damp winter conditions. I found it worked well to use compost mulch, would remove straw perhaps to paths, depending how much is there, before spreading the horse compost, then hoe as soon as tiny weed seedings are visible.
    2-3in is good, say 6cm. Put the earth on first.
    A promising outlook for you.

PouleChick
    Participant

Thanks so much for your reply Charles πŸ™‚
    To be fair there is not an awful lot of straw left (maybe 3-6cm in most places) as much has broken down. I have started operation taking off the straw and mulching with the manure. It is actually quite difficult as it is so wet (the mulch) so I’m thinking I may spread it out on a tarp to try to dry it (still in the trailer at the moment) and make it easier to work with. We are finally due some dry weather after 4 months of rain!

You make a valid point about the slugs – there are a few but they are not a massive problem (yet) but I wonder if they could become so after such a wet, wet, wet winter so I shall see if it is OK with just the compost and I’ll ditch the slug housing and use it on my paths (not sure what I’ll do with the 2m3 bags I’ve got of wood chips that I was going to use for that!).

One thought that I had today as I was removing straw is that I have been really pleased with the straw mulch for keeping the cat from pooing on my garden (or at least reducing it) and the areas that haven’t been straw mulched that had a decent amount of compost last season are much more of a target. Do you have any thoughts on stopping cats using the lovely uncovered compost as a toilet?

I shall keep you updated with progress and some pics when it is all sorted.

charles

On cats, I find the best way to keep them off is to lay bird netting on top of the ground.

ElleGee
    Participant

I’ve been “no-digging’ in SW France for four years using cow manure with great success. I’m in the PΓ©rigord Noir ( near Sarlat) When I started my raised beds I really struggled to find ‘bonne terre’ A neighbouring farmer offered me as much manure as I was prepared to dig from his winter barn and I’ve never looked back. The first year I piled in a huge quantity of it in to fill the beds (probably 50% manure!) and mixed it in with the poor quality soil I had. I had the most amazing crops!!
    Now I use Charles’ method of laying a thick mulch of manure on the beds in autumn. I just spread it on roughly and by spring even the big lumps break down easily. I give it a cursory rake to smooth it out a bit, then plant straight into it. It works really well! I use nothing else – no fertilizers etc.
    The manure is sometimes quite lumpy, other times it has lots of straw. Depending when I collect it, there is sometimes some fresher stuff mixed in with older, but I just use it as is and it works fine.
    I don’t add any other mulch during our hot dry summers.

PouleChick
    Participant

That is great to hear @ellegee – I think I’m just so used to using the straw mulch and seeing the lovely water retaining properties (huuuuge difference in the hot dry to the moisture of the areas with straw mulch and those that I haven’t done) I’m nervous about changing as it is all I’ve ever known! I’m over between Perigueux and Bergerac. I have spread out the manure compost on a couple of beds already but I’m a bit worried now as it has gone from being gorgeous and dark and lovely looking (and very wet LOL!) to drying out in the lumps really really hard πŸ™ with the warm weather and sun the last couple of days. I’m hoping that the back to rain situation we have this week will help it soften and break down smaller. There is no way I can plant into it how it is πŸ™ I did break it up quite a lot already too. I’m at a bit of a loss as I can’t afford to buy in bagged earth to do my whole garden and I don’t have a lot of compost (and none ready). I’m at a bit of a loss and really should be getting plants in the ground.

ElleGee
    Participant

The first year I only got the raised beds ready in June, so I landed up planting immediately into the manure which was dry and clumpy too. I broke it up by hand (it was quite a task!!) into smaller clumps and then forked it into the minimal amount of soil I had in the beds. It has been much less work in subsequent years when I put on a thick layer in autumn and I don’t fork or dig it in at all.
    I don’t know about your area, but we often get a late cracking frost at the end of the April, so I don’t plant anything tender (tomatoes, peppers etc) until the first week of May. I find Charles’ sowing timeline is perfect for our climate.
    I’m attaching a photo to show how my potager looked last summer only with the manure feeding the soil – no additional fertilisers. I am really thrilled with it πŸ™‚

charles

ElleGee, what a wonderful garden and thanks for sharing your success, so glad it’s all come together. That blue sky makes me nostalgic, so grey here this spring.

PouleChick
    Participant

Your garden is amazing!

ElleGee
    Participant

My successful garden is thanks to you, Charles! Your books and web information have been an invaluable resource.

ruthparis
    Participant

ElleGee, what a FABULOUS potager!! Just shows what hard work and perseverence can do; thank you for sharing such bountiful inspiration. A virtuous cycle via Charles and his generosity too πŸ™‚
    And PouleChick too, good luck with your venture, sounds great!
    Best wishes, Ruth

Rhys
    Participant

Just out of interest Ellegee, how many cubic metres of compost/manure did you need to set up initially?

Also what is the total area of your beds? Looks around 100sqm, maybe slightly less.

Fantastic garden though……

ElleGee
    Participant

Thanks for your interest and encouraging comments!
    The raised beds total about 42sqm. I probably put about 50% manure in when I started, so roughly 4 cubic metres. Each bed is 120cm wide and 20cm deep. I’ve added another photo to show you a better view of the beds.
    I also have what I call “the pumpkin patch” which is an additional area of about 60sqm, divided into 4 sections in which I rotate potatoes, pumpkins & squash, onions, sweetcorn in each quadrant each year – this frees up the raised beds for planting everything else. We have a superb climate here (summers can be very dry though) for growing everything outdoors, so I don’t have a greenhouse or tunnel.
    I’ve enclosed an aerial photo to show what it looks like – you can see how hot our summers are from the dry grass in the orchard!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags