Home-brew Nematode solution

Community Community Garden Problems Pests Home-brew Nematode solution

Tagged: 

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Sam_uk 9 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

John
    Participant

Has anybody tried the home-brew Nematode solution suggested by Toby Buckland in the Telegraph in 2011?

Link to Telegraph article

John

stewart
    Participant

I would have to question the validity of increasing nematodes into a patch above a normal range …

Bit like an increasing fox/buzzard population but fewer rabbits,mice/carrion to sustain that spike whereby they correct population to surroundings

Though as a person with little knowledge on nematodes how do these microscopic species react to a dense community populations? Do they react like water on a blot paper whereby they gravitate out in a search for food or is it local to where you establish a pocket in relative terms.

Seems a simplistic approach to an age old problem, I would hazard the fact that as little is spoke of this manipulation to increase nematodes that there is little credence to it bearing results of cost/benefit.

Unless someone can support the argument to …….))

John
    Participant

Hi Stewart

The intention of the post was really about whether or not it was possible to ‘grow your own’ nematodes rather than buying a pack as Charles has done when he has had a slug problem.

So I should now like to ask two questions.
    1. Is the watering on of a nematode solution effective at killing slugs?
    2. Is the home-brew method a viable alternative to buying a pack of nematodes?

The effectiveness of any nematode solution seems to last only six weeks so my guess is that there in no long-term residual effect. Toby Buckland, who wrote the article, is a professional gardener who had a high profile when he presented Gardeners World on TV.

John

Sam_uk
    Participant

I’m quite interested in this too.

I think it would result in a much lower concentration of nematodes than the commercial solutions. Which I think is probably a good thing.

If in the natural state slugs have a 1/10 chance of getting nematodes, I’m speculating this would change the odds to 1/5 or so. Not enough to completely wipe out the population, but putting the gardener at a slight advantage.

I’m going to give it a try on one bed, with a control bed and will report back.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags