Home grown compost query

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground Home grown compost query

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  charles 13 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

tess

Hello
    About 6-8 weeks ago I added lots of wood shavings mixed with poultry poo into the compost bin (a product of my sadly brief foray into chicken keeping in the garden – it became a winter mud bath!). I turned the contents of the bin today and whilst all green stuff bar a few bigger twiggy bits had disappeared, there was lots of wood shavings seemingly just the same. Looked like wood shavings mixed with crumbly soil. I mixed in lots more green matter (weeds and more weeds!) hoping it will compost further. Is this the best idea or would it be ok to spread it?
    Thanks, Tess

Tess – I had delivery of some pony manure last Winter/Spring (the second batch was much delayed coming) – some of this was very wood shaving rich. I spread it all out over the veg patch nevertheless. It does seem to have taken time to “compost” but it’s on it’s way and doesn’t seem to have done the veg any harm at all! When I get some more pony manure this Autumn I will mix up the bags more than I did this time to spread any concentrations of shavings around. Some of the best soil in my garden is a mix of leaf mould and rotten wood so I guess shavings are fine – eventually. Richard

charles

Richard’s comments sum it up nicely, wood will decompose better on the soil surface in the presence of air, than in a heap where it will also use nutrients from green matter, over a long period. Thin twigs in short lengths is about as much woody matter as a domestic compost heap can handle. 

On the other hand, adding thin ‘brown’ matter such as cardboard, scrumpled paper and leaves will help to keep air in compost heaps and to balance the decomposition of green matter such as grass and weeds. Half of each is ideal but in practice this is rarely achievable, just good to bear in mind. And not too much soil. In your case I would spread the shavings rich compost on top of soil, preferably around established plants, or as an autumn/winter mulch ahead of next spring’s sowing and planting.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags