hoops and netting

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground hoops and netting

This topic contains 13 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Maisy 10 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

kate robinson
    Participant

Last year I used willow hoops for netting my outside beds but they were knobbly and awkward when picking…. Where can I get cheap but effective hoops? I will also need more netting as I have expanded my outside beds – is there a cheap but good quality supplier? Thanks K

charles

Hi Kate

Glad the salad is growing well. 4mm wire is smooth for net to slide over, or alkathene pipe. I have bought netting from www.lbsbuyersguide.co.uk/ and find the 4m wide roll is good, to have enough for burying the edges and to go over taller crops – black "anti-bird net" is their description.

kate robinson
    Participant

Ok thanks for that Charles – with the 4mm wire do you need a ‘template’ to bend the wire over to make it the right shape or does it just stick into the ground?? LBS do 50 x 3ft6in wide hoops for £47.55…. they are only 18 inches high though.. 60 inches over the top.. Might be too tight.

charles

You do need a template if you want loops but they may work without. The LBS ones sound expensive.

Steph
    Participant

I have a load of black water pipe you can have if that would be a help? Tent poles work well too, especially those from ‘pop up’ tents – you can cut it to size very easily.

Dazzerelli
    Participant

Anyone know anywhere that sells 4mm wire? Can only find upto 2.5mm which is probably a bit too flimsy.

charles

Woops you are right Darren, I could not find it online. Farming stores around here used to sell it but I have not looked for a while. Alkathene pipe is more expensive but would serve well.

kate robinson
    Participant

WoooHooo! I,ve found 4mm wire in Tincknells WELLS 01749 683150

kate robinson
    Participant

I’ve only just seen this post (sometimes the replies seem to get out of order) Sorry not to respond sooner. I now have some wire which I will try… If it’s not good please may I get back to you? Thanks for offer!

grannyjanny
    Participant

We but 4m wide netting at 99′ per metre from Strikes garden centres. We’ve covered the fruit cage with it & will put it over the strawberry & brassica beds.

Richard Bambury
    Participant

Sourcing 4mm wire.
    I have just had a delivery of25kg of 4mm from samturner.co.uk
    Enough for about 100 hoops £52
    Alsohttp://www.newatlanticonline.co.uk/products/gates-and-fencing/wire-fencing/plain-galvanised-fencing-wire-fence/plain-wire-8g-4mm-x-25kg-254m-approx.html
    Richard Bambury

Richard Bambury
    Participant

Wondermesh is a high quality and much cheaper alternative to Enviromesh . Wondermesh .co.uk from Scotland do second hand mesh. Often have to buy in bulk for cheapest prices but ok to share on an allotment site.
    Well worth a phone call to see what they have got for sale
    Richard Bambury

bluetempest2

Hi After reading the comments on hoops I thought you may want to look at the 20mm Blue MDPE poly pipe which is approx £0.58p or meter ( on eBay with next day delivery)and is a lot easier to cut and form the arc for various size plot cloches. I have used it a lot and found you can also make a decent fruit cage canopy from the cloche hoops by adding them to 5ft or 6ft bamboo canes which you push into the inner hole ( like a sleeve) and if you want to widen the arc add two cloche hoops together using a short cut bamboo and use as a joint.

Maisy

I have used 20mm conduit from screwfix for our cloches. Available in black or white it costs £8.70 for 10 lengths of 2m. I screwed in metal bracket things to hold it in place but you could also use bits of bamboo inserted into the ends. If you cover it in plastic try and get the plastic inside the bed so that any water that evaporates goes back into the soil where it is needed . If you buy more than 10 it costs even less.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags