Horn Manure a potential cure for pear midge?

Community Community General Gardening Fruit Horn Manure a potential cure for pear midge?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Dino 6 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Rhys
    Participant

For four years, our two young pear trees succumbed each year to pear midge, which reproduces in young fruitlets, causing >98% losses. I was lucky to get ten fruit surviving each year.

This spring, I applied the biodynamic potion called horn manure to garden, including all the fruit trees. I am delighted to say that this year, 60 healthy fruit are growing on the one tree we kept after removing one in despair.

I present this as an observation rather than a proof.

Anyone else suffering that way, it may be worth applying horn manure in late autumn and late winter/early spring to see if my observation can be replicated or not….

Dino
    Participant

I planted a new pear tree four years ago, and we haven’t had a pear off it despite a good showing of blossom each spring. Sometimes two or three fruitlets are visible around May but they don’t seem to swell and come mid summer there’s nothing there. Could that be the pear midge? We don’t have any other pear trees within 1 km but we do have about forty beehives on the farm that should help with pollination. I’ve heard biodynamics mentioned before. What does it involve?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags