horns of a dilemma

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground horns of a dilemma

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Roger Brook 10 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

bluebell
    Participant

I am fortunate to have access to cow manure for free, but have to shift it by hand, previous years I have dug aimed for about 6 cubic metres, which just about does a 10rod allotment. This year I have a choice of un rotted manure that is less than a year old but is fairly easy to access, or 3 year old that is much less easy to access and so I think I will only be able to shift about half as much.

I can take any combination and what I don’t take will be there for next year but what is best to aim for? My soil is very light and sandy and has struggled with water retention this year.

charles

Nice choice you have – I would stack some of the young manure in a heap, as well as spreading some where you plan to grow plants such as climbing beans, squash and courgette, and fetch some of the older manure for small plants and seeds such as salad and carrots.

bluebell
    Participant

Thanks Charles. Think I must be a bit fitter than last year as moved about half a cubic metre yesterday with no I’ll effects. Just shows you don’t need gym membership to keep fit ;)

Roger Brook

lucky bluebell.
    The older manure will have a higher density of well decayed organic matter and will be brilliant to add organic matter to bluebell’s soil. Wonderful stuff but it will be much lower in nutrients because potash and nitrate will have been leached out. In traditional manure making fresh FYM was covered to prevent loss of nutrients
    I think your advice Charles is spot on!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags