Horse Manure without bedding or with bedding?

Community Community General Gardening Sowing and Growing Horse Manure without bedding or with bedding?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Beth 10 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Beth
    Participant

I was so happy to find a local source of organic horse manure. She says she has the manure separated–one pile has straw and hay in it (no wood chips) and the other pile is without bedding.

Anyone know which would be better choice? I will use some of manure to incorporate into compost I make from food scraps and garden waste and the rest I will just let sit to age, although this is a year old so I can just use it.

Thanks,
    Beth

charles

I would take either, the batch with bedding will just take longer to decompose.

Beth
    Participant

Thank you Charles so much…in addition to the manure without bedding decomposing faster, it seems it would be better in that it wouldn’t have the weed seeds. But perhaps it still would simply from what the animal ate and it passing through. Seems that it would have less though than with hay and straw bedding.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags