Hot Bed Plantings/Spacings

Community Community General Gardening Sowing and Growing Hot Bed Plantings/Spacings

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Daucus 9 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Daucus

Hello

I’m trying to find some information about how much can be planted into a hot bed. I already have one in the polytunnel, it’s 4ft square and started off 2ft high. It has a cucumber plant at each corner and a compact-ish squash in the middle. Is that a bit too much? I have another hot bed outdoors, 4ft x 2ft – and I have a little queue of plants, 2 more squashes and a courgette. Which of those could be planted in the outdoor hot bed? I’ve got the Jack First book but can’t figure out if plants have to go in at normal spacings or can be put in a bit closer together. All/any information & advice would be very welcome! 

charles

Its a good question because you want to make the most of that heat but… plants often grow larger. Sometimes you just make early harvests such as baby beetroot and carrots. On a 4×2 foot bed, one squash plant would be enough! I would go for cucumber instead, whatever you value most. Squash should do well outdoors except in N Scotland.

Daucus

It’s great being able to try these things. I can’t normally grow squash outside here so will go for that. Many thanks for replying.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags