how do I know when it will be safe to populate my new greenhouse?

Community Community General Gardening Sowing and Growing how do I know when it will be safe to populate my new greenhouse?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  bluebell 10 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

bluebell
    Participant

I can hardly contain my excitement at having ordered myself a greenhouse. I plan to have it ready for use by Easter and have sown tomato and chilli plants indoors in anticipation.
    Our last frost date is normally mid May so will they be OK to put in an unheated greenhouse as soon as I have finished building?
    Should I be sowing a couple of cucumbers early to go in there?
    Also will I be ok to sow basil then?

Ros

I have found that it usually works to plant the greenhouse about a month before you would plant outside but be ready with some fleece in case frost is forecast. Here in Nottingham I usually plant outside end of May or beginning of June so wouldnt plant tender plants in the greenhouse before the beginning of May …. however I might do it a few days earlier if the forecast is good. Hope that helps. Ros

bluebell
    Participant

Thanks Ros that sounds sensible. Never having used on I know there will be some experimentation but also wanted to ensure a reasonable chance of success.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags