How do you go about improving your soil with the no dig method with limited resources

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground How do you go about improving your soil with the no dig method with limited resources

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Stevie342000 13 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Stevie342000

If you are of a limited income then how do you import lots of organic matter whether that be manure or compost to a growing site?

As an allotment holder, I am limited to how quickly I can get at the manure to make sure I get enough. A lorry load arrived late on Sunday, having managed to get my hands on 18 barrow loads which was enough to cover one 1/2 plot length circa 8′ x 16′. By lunchtime on Monday this had all gone aside from 2 barrow loads full which I put on my compost heap. Shortly we will get two lorry loads dropped off a week but you have to be quick to get at it.

No lorry if I could afford to have one drop off manure or compost could safely drop off any shipment due to the narrowness of the road and the plot over yonder blocks access.

Neither do I have access to a car as I do not drive, so am reliant upon public transport to get to my allotment site which is 3 miles from my home. Kitchen waste is double bagged in carriers and shipped in by public transport. Newspapers are picked up on public transport and are being used as a physical barrier between grass and manure. Newspaper is good for creating a barrier for pathways as well.

Grass is first cut then a strip is dug over to later be topped off with a layer of 7 sheets of newspaper, which is then topped off with manure in autumn and compost in spring. Grass cuttings are put in compost heap with layers of scrunched up newspaper, manure, chipped bark,dead leaves, and other organic matter from kitchen waste or unusable crop waste. Comfrey tea is used to keep compost heap moist and as an organic compost bin starter, along with the odd sprinkling of lime between suitable layers.

No one I have come across is willing to put manure in the back of their cars, I know several people with stables and horses and no way to move the manure. Do you have any suggestions? Are their issues with the way my compost heaps are built?

They are 4′ x 12′ currently there is one, with another two to be built and a smaller 4′ x 4′ heap which is nearly ready for spreading.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags