How drought tolerant are onion seedlings?

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables How drought tolerant are onion seedlings?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  charles 6 years ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Hawfinch
    Participant

Hi all,
    I’ve rather surprisingly been able to take on an allotment, was told waiting time was up to 2 years so wasn’t really prepared. Thing is, I’d like to plant my onion seedlings there, but we are going away for 10 days from 20.4., so my question is, if I plant the onion seedlings now and we end up getting a dry warm/hot spell what are the chances they’d survive? The plot seems undug, I’m obviously not going to dig but will spread a good layer of compost and have some time to water them in well. I know nobody can guarantee anything, I’d just like to know how well they generally do with little to no watering, would it be better to just keep them in their seed trays, my neighbour will look after them here at home, and plant when I get back?

Hawfinch
    Participant

No suggestions from anyone?

Hazelky
    Participant

I find my allotment neighbours very ready to water when I am away. I leave a couple of full watering cans next to the vulnerable ones and someone always obliges. I, of course return the favours.

Hawfinch
    Participant

Thanks Hazelkey, will look into that.

charles

Good idea from Hazelkey and onions are drought tolerant once settled in, I would plant by the end of this week

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags