How long before uncovering?

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground How long before uncovering?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  offwego 6 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

offwego
    Participant

I created a new bed early in January I turned over the grass sods and added the sods from my paths. Since then the bed has been covered with black plastic. Is it ok to now remove the plastic and place 75mm multi purpose compost on top without fearing that the grass will grow through?

charles

Offwego, how long is that piece of string?
    Depends on your grass etc.
    Shame you turned it over but now that has happened, I would remove the poly, place the compost on top and then put the poly back until say 2 weeks before planting, to keep preventing any weed growth.
    Then remove it and check for slugs.
    Etc

offwego
    Participant

Thanks Charles that’s a good idea , weather forecast is good for this morning I may just get it done before lunch today if everything goes well.

Regarding the turning over I did this prior to becoming a no-dig convert and I also wanted to lose the sods that I had from digging out my paths whilst building up the levels in the beds at the same time.

offwego
    Participant

After being to the plot this morning and taking off the plastic on bed 1 the grass had indeed died leaving behind the couch grass , i raked all I could see into a pile and took it off . I then covered the whole bed with about 50- 75 mm of multi purpose compost and it looks great. Next I need to get some weed fabric which will look a lot better than the plastic and also allow water through, I will put this on next weekend.

The other beds are looking great and apart from one half bed are all ready for planting up.
    The half bed still needs some attention and a layer of compost then I’m done👍

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags