How long can salads stay in modules?

Community Community General Gardening Sowing and Growing How long can salads stay in modules?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  compostpope 10 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

compostpope
    Participant

Hi Charles

What size do you recommend planting out salad seedlings?

I have a variety of them growing on my balcony in 4cm modules, but am away next week and wonder if I should plant them out into my cold frame before I go? They are all at the 2 to 3 true leaf stage but vary in size massively – the leaf radish at about 10cm are dwarfing the lettuce at 1cm in the next cells.

Thanks

Compostpope

charles

You could plant them now if slugs are under control in your coldframe but young, tender plants are more vulnerable to pests than slightly older ones. I would plant them when you return as 2 to 3 leaf stage sounds immature to me, aim to plant as soon as you can after returning. Maybe just plant those leaf radish now as they grow so fast.

compostpope
    Participant

Thanks Charles,

Unable to get over to my plot so simply potted the radish and senposai into slightly bigger modules as a temporary measure until I get back from my holiday – why does life always insist on intruding on gardening?!

Compostpope

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags