how much manure is too much?

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground how much manure is too much?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  seedpod 14 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

seedpod

Hi All, newbie here and to no dig growing.Ive been a digger and rotovator for yonks!
    My plot which when tested last year with a cheap PH soil testing kit and using samples from all over the field came up as around 6.5. The soil is clay over sand . I am near the sea.Last year after many years of permanent pasture and no fertilizer only calcified seaweed, quite large amounts of rotted horse manure were top dressed before ploughing.Large means around one tractor bucket load per (guess)6 sq.mtr ish!!guess again ,one tractor load = about ten medium barrow loads.
    A central grass path was added and one half was top dressed again with muck again and rotovated in.This side took our drought last year quite well, the other half baked hard as you would expect from the soil. I have an almost unexhaustable supply of well rotted and I wanted to try the no dig method this year on the half plot that was ploughed after mucking (one lot).So, coming to my question ,is there a limit to how much muck can be added every year and what will this do to the already slightly acid PH ? I do have compost in the making but no where near the amount I would need.
    thanks, seedpod, Norfolk

charles

Hi seedpod, you are doing well to have plenty of well rotted manure and putting about a couple of inches on top of the soil would be about right, since you have already added quite a lot. I reckon that once soil fertility has been improved by a large initial dressing – which can be applied on the surface – the subsequent annual dose of one to two inches on top is about right to maintain health and soil life. I find that my clay soil resists drought much better from having the organic matter on top, making a softer and more crumbly surface.

Re acidity (see the lime question too) I would be surprised if the manure lowers your pH significantly and 6.5 is certainly good for vegetable growing.

seedpod

Hi Charles and thanks for your prompt reply. Sorry, I have another query now. I am itching to get on with the muck spreading but the periodically frozen ground keep holding me off I keep doing a bit every time temps. rise a bit.My question is ,if I continue top dressing whilst there is frost in the ground is this detrimental, will it slow down soil warming at all or is it too miniscule to worry about considering the potential gain?
    thanks again

charles

All I can say is that I often spread manure on frozen soil because it is a great time to be pushing a wheelbarrow, on hard soil rather than in the mud, and it all thaws out alright when temperatures rise. Also the manure is quickly frozen which helps to break open any lumps.

seedpod

Bingo! thats great I’ll get going then and try to beat the snow.
    thanks Charles.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags