How much space do I leave around espallier apples?

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground How much space do I leave around espallier apples?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  ruth noble 8 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

ruth noble
    Participant

I have had a no dig garden going great for the past 4 years, thank you for all your wisdom. We’re moving next month (agh) and I’m trying to plan the new veggie patch. I hope to have espalier apples on the south facing garden wall, how wide a ‘path’ should I leave in front of them? I have pots with kale, sprouting broccoli and spinach hoping to be planted when we arrive.

charles

Ruth it depends on the rootstock. I suggest M9 for small-size trees, allow about three feet between the fence and the edge of your first bed..
    Good luck with the move, tricky from a garden point of view at this time of year.

ruth noble
    Participant

Thank you, Charles. Yes, difficult time, I have planted lots of root veg here that I will come back to claim in the autumn and have my winter veg in the pots. The positive is that I will have more space in the new garden and it will be almost a walled garden in full sun rather than gardening in partial sun here. I’m sure I’ll be back with more queries, Ruth.

bluebell
    Participant

Ruth what an exciting prospect a new garden with a south facing wall! Not sure I would put apples against it depending on where you are I would be looking for something a bit more exotic 😊

ruth noble
    Participant

Any suggestions? I won’t have space for apple trees otherwise and I thought they would be the safest bet in terms of fruit – I’m leaving behind 3 apple trees which are just old enough to really begin fruiting here……

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags