How thick layer cardboard?

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground How thick layer cardboard?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  mart 12 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

mart

Hi Charles,

I have collected a huge pile of cardboardboxes over the year, how thick a layer can I put on a piece of ground? Might it be better to rip it up and add to the compost heap?

Thanks.

charles

Hi Mart

It depends what it is for, if mulching weeds then two layers would be good, but the more layers you apply the less moisture may penetrate.
    If I were using it to cover couch grass, for example, I would apply two layers and keep enough in reserve for another layer or two in spring, placed on top of what youy lay now when it is starting to develop holes which weeds grow through. At that point, worms love the lower layer.
    You can also put it in the compost heap! Good in summer especially, mixed with green matter, but good now too.

In case any one is wondering, I only remommend cardboarding where weeds need mulching. I am not applying it here on my garden which is weed free, although today (a different matter) we were flooded: and this bed is planted with garlic and broad beans!

kate robinson
    Participant

Wow Charles, have you been flooded like this before?
    Did the garlic and beans get washed away?
    K

charles

This was the most water I have seen wash through the garden, and in places it took the surface layer of compost, but not seeds, or soil – which is firm enough to resist and especially because of being undug.

Most damage was in the orchard where ground is more sloping and the slope runs two ways, both up/down and across my beds, resulting in water crossing across their top in a few places, as in the photo. Which is why it works better to align beds up and down a slope and not across it!

mart

Ok thx, I have made the patch semi weed free. My problem is I don’t have enough space to make compost at the moment. My idea was to cover the ground(clay/rock) with cardboard and some manure and semi ready compost on top with the idea to have it breakdown in the coming months. So it is half to keep remaining weeds down and part to make on the spot compost.

Sorry to see you flooded.
    I have mainly raised beds here also to avoid flooding since part of the garden is on terraced ground. All over Italy they have flooding problems now, we have been fortunate but if it floods… madonna. Whole parts of hills come down.
    The part I’m going to cover is the first part in not raised beds. I’ll be using it for tomatoes hopefully. They didn’t do fantastic this year but I hope some soil improvement might help. Corn and butternuts were doing well on the same spot but a porcupine ate all. Need some fencing which is great fun to make in rocky soil……

Off to have a quick read in your book on planting early broad beans and overwintering onions.
    All the best, thanks for your advice and saluti

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags