How to convert grass area into family garden?

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground How to convert grass area into family garden?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  ElizaD 8 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Huu
    Participant

Firstly, I’m new to the forums so hello to everyone!

I came across the no-dig method when researching different ways of removing grass areas in garden. Large part of our garden (about 50sq metres) was covered with rolls of turf couple years ago. We had major landscaping done, but at that point didn’t really know what to do with the flat square area. We had to choose something rather than leave it all for the weeds to colonise, so grass lawn seemed a good idea. Now, however, we want to convert it into a nice play garden for the kids. Twirling paths, play dens, a jungle of ornamental grasses and other robust plants, couple of veg beds and a fruit trees are on the plans. But absolutely no lawn!
    I’ve read online how people have used cardboard and mulch to do this kind of thing, but the all examples seem to come from America. This site is the best information source I found from the UK, but it’s more geared towards growing vegetables . I’m a real novice at gardening, so don’t know if that matters, but I’d love to hear if someone has used this method in converting grass areas to a planted garden. The main things that puzzle me are the scale of the job, what to choose as mulch (we’d need a lot of it!) and how and when to plant mature garden plants, even trees, into the mulch.

Any advice or experiences greatly appreciated!

charles

Welcome Huu.
    Its the same principles and materials as for vegetables.
    Lawn grass is easy to mulch, three months in darkness is enough usually. I would leave the mulch in place until autumn then remove and plant.
    See my latest book for many more details (How to Create a New Veg Garden) & there are photo sequences of mulching to plant flowerbeds + advice on trees.

ElizaD
    Participant

Hi Huu

I have now put three raised beds over grass, filled with organic horse manure six inches deep, planted veg straight off and everything has grown superbly. No cardboard or any other covering was used and no weeds or grass resurfaced. A bed I put in over soil gave me a minor problem with Japanese anemone coming up in a couple of places for a year or two but this has finally given up the ghost (she said with fingers crossed!).

I’ve also skimmed off the top inch or so of turf, put down a porous membrane and put gravel on top of a small area near the house where cold frames are and did the same preparation but placed bark on top of another area. All worked well for me but these were small areas only.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags