How to grow watercess

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables How to grow watercess

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  charles 12 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Larkspur

We eat a packet of watercress most days, which is expensive & I would love to grow it. I live right next to a clean shallow river, but there are sheep a few miles upstream so I don’t want to risk liver fluke.
    I wondered if I can just grow it in moist soil & water it every day from the water butt?
    (The water in the butt shouldn’t get much chance to stagnate here in wet West Wales, & comes from a huge roof, although the doves do perch on the gutters & so dove poo would probably be in the water.
    We have plenty of space here so any system for growing lots of watercress would be gratefully received.

charles

This is a good plan and I have found that watercress grows well in moist soil, being invasive too as its shallow roots spread laterally and then form new clumps. But it has little frost resistance when grown in soil, though late spring frosts may be tolerated.

I expect you know land cress which is excellent for winter and similar in flavour. Mine, sown late August, is cropping heavily at the moment – even without protection and pigeons normally love it –  and should continue until flowering in early May.

The dove poo should not be a problem as water is passing through soil forst and being cleansed by bacteria. 

peat
    Participant

I grew watercress in the greenhouse last year and a couple of years ago I grew it in 1ltr pots. As long as it’s kept moist it will grow well. Last year I grew it from seed and I have also grown it from packs bought from supermarkets.
    Pete

Larkspur

Thank you so much Charles, I’m delighted to hear this. I have never tried land cress but will sow some as well. Sound advice as always, much appreciated.

Larkspur

Thank you Pete Peat; we are just building a greenhouse so will put some in there. So happy I can grow this after all.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags