How to keep paths weed-free

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground How to keep paths weed-free

This topic contains 18 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  DavisSmith 10 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

wyrdwitch

Hi,
    I’m new to the forum so don’t know whether this has already been covered elsewhere …
    I’ve been growing vegetables in beds for a number of years on my allotment, generally using no-dig methods apart from when my husband gets over-zealous with his spade.
    I am finding it more and more difficult to keep on top of the weeds on the paths that run between the beds – particularly couch grass – and was wondering whether to cover the paths with weed-suppressant membrane. The beds themselves are relatively easy to maintain, but it is a constant battle to keep the paths clear, and we have to be particularly vigilant to try and keep the couch grass out of the beds.
    Does anybody have any advice on the use of this sort of membrane, and whether or not it is likely to be cost effective?
    Thanks B-)

bluebell
    Participant

Hi I have only had an allotment for around a year and I decided to use weed suppressing membrain on the paths within the fruit area – what a mistake! I bought the best quality I could find at the garden centre and within weeks weeds (especially thistle) were actually coming through it. The rest including cooch grass just went around so it was really hard to get to the roots.

The rest of my plot I left as earth paths and whilst hoeing is hard work when they set in the sun ( I just do it early whilst there is still dew softening the ground) It is infinately better in the long run I think and hence I will be removing the membrain from fruit garden this winter.

Roger Brook

Why is it prohibited to just spray the beds with glyphosate? If the weeds are intact (Not chopped about by cultivation) and the root and leaf are as one, a single well timed spray will often be enough. No loss of organic matter (it returns to the ground). Its about time the organic movement got up to date- just as they have done with bonemeal ? and nicotine.
    http://www.nodiggardener.co.uk/2012/08/reasons-not-to-dig-4.html

Steph
    Participant

It is always better to avoid chemicals – I think the clue is in the word ‘organic’ Roger! There may be the occasional extreme case, but I am sure a weedy path can be kept clear without resorting to weedkillers.

The chemical companies have such a grip on food production – GM seeds for example. It is beneficial for one’s garden and one’s peace of mind to avoid supporting these companies and seek gentler alternatives,

Steph
    Participant

How weedy are the paths? Could you give them a good one-off weed and then hoe regularly to keep them weed free? The odd bit of couch can be removed with a trowel – it does eventually lose enthusiasm.

We have covered a particularly jungly patch of grass (including couch) on a neighbouring allotment with black plastic (not membrane) to weaken and kill it. If your paths are very weedy, perhaps cover with strong black plastic or a layer of cardboard until the weeds die back, remove and then keep them under control by hoeing when you weed your beds. This may provide residence for slugs, so I wouldn’t leave it down long-term.

Roger Brook

thanks for your nice reply Steph, I am afraid I was a bit strident in my previous remarks, we non-diggers are easily carried away! Apology also to Charles.I have no love for big chemical or big pharma or big banks but we all use them. In all walks of life we use products of the chemical industry, why not in the garden. I have recently done a post on my own blog about why as a no-digger I defend glyphosate and would be pleased to have comments stating all sides of the argument.

Sahira Ward

Hi B

I managed to recyle some off cuts of artifical grass that were in a skip and they have been fantastic for my paths on my allotment.

Sahira

wyrdwitch

The paths have got really bad because the allotment has been sorely neglected for the past twelve months as we’ve been helping our daughter to look after her new twin baby girls. They are moving out this week so we will have time to get to grips with the plot again. We’ve always kept the paths clear by hoeing in the past, but I was just feeling a bit overwhelmed by how quickly things get out of control, and looking for an easier option!

wyrdwitch

What a great idea Sahira, it would look good and must be hard-wearing too!

wyrdwitch

I feel your frustration Roger, but we haven’t used any nasty chemicals in the garden since having kids over twenty years ago – sometimes it takes more effort, but I usually feel that it’s worth it in the end B-)

wyrdwitch

Thanks for your helpful comment – I was wondering whether the membrane would be strong enough, particularly as we will be walking on it on the paths. I don’t suppose you know what grade of membrane it was that you used? I was looking at some on Amazon that was 100g/sqm, and there was cheaper stuff elsewhere that was only 50g/sqm, some of the reviews said that this ripped too easily, so if we do go ahead and try it, I will go for the more heavy duty stuff.

Ros

An approach I have found very effective is to put down cardboard or newspaper [in newspaper thickness not single sheets]and cover that with wood chips. This gives a loose surface which is easy to hoe as weeds show through and so is relatively easy to keep on top of. As the woodchips decompose just add some more. They drain well so are a good surface to walk on throughout the year although sometimes you get bits inside your sandals in the summer!

Our allotment site gets woodchips delivered from tree surgeons who are happy to get rid of them and we all help our selves. Although I have in the past made arrangements with a tree surgeon for a one off delivery at home. As they usually have to pay to dump these most firms are more than willing to help us out for free!!

Another side effect of this is that the decomposition of the woodchips is lead by fungi and so they help to spread a lot of beneficial organisms into our soil to help to keep it in good heart in the future – something which is missing with glyphosphate!

wyrdwitch

Hi Ros
    We don’t have an allotment committee or any cohesive allotment community as yet, but would like to arrange for deliveries of ‘waste’ products like woodchips if we ever get organised enough. At one time a chimney sweep used to leave bags of soot, but I never took advantage of this as I thought soot was too caustic to put anywhere near growing plants – might have worked ok on paths though, if it could be kept off the beds.

Sahira Ward

Hi B
    You would love it, great to kneel on and if compost falls of the beds just pick the artifical grass up and shake it off like a rug. Schools are common sites for artifical grass to be installed.

Happy hunting

Sahira

Pete Budd
    Participant

I think there is one thing being overlooked here and that is; gardening is quite physical. Unfortunately a certain amount of hard graft is required and weeding paths is part of it. The best solution to the weed problem is regular hoeing or shimming off. Of course some will say, “but I don`t have time”, to which I will reply; reduce the size of your plot or get somebody to help out. I would not advocate weed suppressant membrane or wooden sides to beds, raised or otherwise, as these only create work in the long run.

Cheers

Pete

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags