How to remove large rooted plants in Autumn

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground How to remove large rooted plants in Autumn

Tagged: 

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  charles 5 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

dandeliongirl
    Participant

Hello,
    I have a question about large-rooted plants, especially thinking of flowers. I am attempting to convert my garden beds to no-dig but am wondering how to clear out some of the plants in the Autumn. Flowering annuals like sunflowers, celosia and amaranth have such huge roots that I’m finding it hard to remove them without disturbing the soil much. What do you suggest for plants like those? Can I just cut the stem down at ground level and leave all of the roots there through winter? If that wouldn’t work well, should I use a spade to break the biggest roots all around the stem and then pull it up? I have tried using a soil knife to cut the roots close to the stem but this has been way too labor intensive to be sustainable.

Any help in this regard is much appreciated! I so appreciate all of the helpful information you’ve shared Charles, both online and in your books. I’ve been devouring it as quickly as I’ve been able.

Oh, if it helps, I’m in zone 5/6 (U.S.)

Thank you.

charles

Ah you have snow soon!
    It’s fine to leave roots in. Some plants twist (not pull) out easily, for others a sharp spade is good to cut at ground level.
    If soil is lifted, press it down again with your feet.
    And thanks for your comment.

Tommy Ryan
    Participant

Charles, I have made it a practice to always leave the roots in the soil when pulling out plants that are ready to be composted. I will try to twist some of them out for convenience as you mentioned.

On this topic, are there any plants were you would not recommend leaving the roots behind? I was thinking that minimal soil disturbance and leaving roots to rot and feed the soil would be the way to go for all plants in the garden.

charles

None spring to mind Tommy!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags