How to train a Blackberry in small space

Community Community General Gardening Fruit How to train a Blackberry in small space

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  JD 4 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Jacqui
    Participant

Hi
    I have a long but narrow border by the side of our house where I grow a blackberry. I train the fruiting growth in “S” shapes to 3 horizontal wires on a fence. It produces a lot of fruit.
    My problem is what to do with the new growth which grows from the bottom and produces fruits next year. After harvesting I cut the fruited growth down to the ground and tie in the new growth.
    Whatever I try, the new growth gets in the way and makes picking the fruit difficult.
    Does anyone have any suggestions?

I have tried training it on horizontal wires in front of and above the existing growth but that got in the way and made it claustrophobic when picking.
    Would it be easier to leave the new growth on the ground ?
    The final idea was to train the fruiting growth to the left and new growth to the right but it
    grows from the base in different directions.

Please ignore the bindweed in the picture. It grew rapidly after some rain and I took the photo before removing it.

Looking forward to hearing your suggestions.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

JD
    Participant

Hi Jacqui. Looks very nice.
    Will try to attach photo from my pruning and training book. Hope I’m not infringing anything as its not for commercial purposes.
    Jan

JD
    Participant

JD
    Participant

This one should work (Hopefully) though it’s hard to read as file is so small now

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags