Inherited Neglected Garden

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground Inherited Neglected Garden

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  charles 7 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Ray Fidler
    Participant

Hi,

We have just inherited a house with a very neglected garden. The soil is compacted and the area for our new vegetable garden undulates with significant dips within it hat needs levelling before creating the beds. My thinking is to dig out the large humps and fill in the dips with the removed soil. Then create no dig beds and limiting disturbing the soil as much as possible. Is this a sensible approach and is there any further advice you can give me?

I have created compost bins to make compost from a combination of grass cutting, paper, green waste and shredded woody shrub branches. My largest volume of material will be grass cuttings could I use this as a lower layer with compost on top of it ?

Our local waste centre sells compost from a huge local green waste recycling centre, would this be appropriate to provide me with additional compost to start my no dig beds.

My thanks in advance for your advice which will be much appreciated.

Ray

charles

Hello Ray, no time to answer all this except yes, the green waste compost is an excellent starting point, maybe add some pellets of chicken manure to help it feed your plants while it finished decomposing. Buy in advance of using of possible. And much more detail is in my book How to Create a New Vegetable Garden, see Shop above.
    Best of luck, sounds a good project.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags