into pots before planting out

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables into pots before planting out

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  peat 11 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

ladbrokes

is there any real benefit from starting shallots and onion sets in pots undercover before planting them out later

charles

Good question Ladbrokes as these are such hardy vegetables, there may be just a small increase in eventual size. Shallot sets can be planted now, direct in soil, although onion sets are best kept for planting around the equinox, to reduce the risk of their bolting.

Steph
    Participant

Onion and shallot sets had been planted in pots by the previous gardener where I work, so it was down to me to plant them out when I took over there.

It took so long, so incredibly long, literally hours, such a frustratingly slow process especially during the spring when one has so many other jobs to do. It is so much quicker to plant the onion and shallot sets out a bit later, but directly into the soil.

Steph

peat
    Participant

What size pots are they in? I use 9cm pots for most of my plants as I use a bulb planter to make the hole as it is the right size to drop the pot contents into.
    Pete

Steph
    Participant

They were around that size but I had to use a trowel. It took about 3 hours!

Onion and shallot sets are so perfect for popping into dibbered holes that I can not see any advantage to putting them in pots first, especially as there are so many other jobs to be doing in the spring

peat
    Participant

The reason I do it is that I can set them up if the weather is bad. Also once they are growing away I don’t have to go around putting them back in the ground where they have popped out.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags