Irrigation system for a polytunnel

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground Irrigation system for a polytunnel

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  mart 12 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

karlde

Hi,
    Whats the best type of irrigation system to install in a polytunnel 24′ wide by 59′ long. I’ve been told that the overhead sprinkler system is a bad system.
    Thanks
    Karl

charles

Hi Karl

I wonder if any system is good because they all, in my experience, leave dry zones. And by definition they cannot give variable amounts of water to plants of different sizes and growing at different speeds.

Nine years ago I installed an "overhead rain" system in a new 18×30 foot tunnel and after two years of struggling to make it do what I wanted, and not waste water down the sides, I switched to hand watering. Although it takes longer, the results justify it. In my other tunnel of 14×60 feet I sometimes use a 1983 vintage overhead sprayline for winter salad and then water by hand where it misses.

I hope someone else will comment as there must be some good methods out there! But time spent watering is not wasted, you always spot things needing attention.

mart

For next summer I’m planning to put in some drip hoses for cucumbers, tomatoes and peppers. Not sure if they would work for salad. Guess that depends how you plant them. In winter I don’t need to give lots of water so do it by hand. In the summer however…. but then I’m in Italy.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags