Is my cow manure rotted enough?

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground Is my cow manure rotted enough?

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Rbp 5 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Rbp
    Participant

I am coming up to my anniversary of no dig vegetable gardening after a successful and interesting first year experiment. I am now looking to replenish my raised beds and have got hold of some cow manure from a former farm. The cows have been gone for a year and the manure is crumbly with some straw still visible and no smell at all. It’s quite dry – I am in Tuscany and it hasn’t rained much over winter. Can I use this now as is, or mixed with other compost? Also do I need to worry about chemicals (I see others writing about “AP”)? I don’t know what methods the farmer used and he has moved on.
    Thanks for any advice.

Cleansweep
    Participant

In my view, this will be fine. 25mm all over to prepare to plant out. Straw will be ok, dont think likely to be Aminopyralid issue, its mainly horse manure containing sprayed hay. Cereal crops shouldn’t be sprayed with it, although dont know about Italian practices.

Rbp
    Participant

Thank you!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags