Is pressure treated wood ok to use for raised beds?

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground Is pressure treated wood ok to use for raised beds?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  ladbrokes 11 years ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Dylan

I’ve been looking into building some raised beds on my allotment lately. I have a tight budget for the project so I’m looking at the most cost effective way. Ideally I would use untreated natural wood and coat it with an eco-friendly product – but doing it this way, the cost soon mounts up. Whilst in B & Q recently I noticed that they had some pressure treated decking on sale for £3.48 for 8ft lengths, which is a great price and would allow me to build a bed for a little over a tenner.

My only question is whether or not the chemical used to protect the wood (Tanalith E) is safe to use so close to my vegetables?

The product FAQ states the following:

“Is TANALISED E pressure treated timber safe to use for compost bins and earth retaining structures for organic vegetable beds?

TANALISED E pressure treated timber is suitable for the construction of compost bins and for use as earth retaining structures for organic vegetable beds. The Soil Association (www.soilassociation.org) states that if the timber used for organic vegetable beds is preservative pre-treated then there are no issues in terms of organic status. If, however, the wood is treated once the raised bed has been built (brush applied preservative) then this would affect the status of the land. Please see our Code of Practice and Consumer Information Sheet for more information on the use of TANALISED E pressure treated timber.”

It sounds like it would be suitable but I am still concerned that as the wood breaks down chemicals may leech into the soil.

Do you have any thoughts on this?

Dylan

bluebell
    Participant

I have most of my beds raised a bit but without wooden sides, just heaped the soil up a bit, which works really well with just hoeing of the side’s needed.
    I also inherited some wooden sided beds and these are a pain as there is grass right up to them and I spend an inordinate amount of time digging out couch grass.

charles

I also find that having no sides is easier, cheaper and results in less pests such as wooddlice and slugs. It is less tidy looking than with wooden sides, and works best with bare-soil or lightly composted paths, because birds often flick some of the beds’ compost into pathways, but it is not wasted as vegetable roots can still find it, and I suggest quite narrow paths of 18" to maximise growing space.

ladbrokes

I’ve done this recently made some raised beds and I’m chuffed to bits with them. Mine were pressure treated aswell I have also treated them with osmo wood protector. They tidied up my plot no end. I have paths between made from wood chippings which I put weed suppressent down first(free from tree surgeon) which are about 20 inches wide. I’ve grown with non edged raised beds for 2 years and much prefer the edged bed approach. Some like em some dont

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags