Jerusalem Artichokes and Gas

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables Jerusalem Artichokes and Gas

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  John 7 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

John
    Participant

Hi Charles and All

We have a bumper crop of Jerusalem Artichokes and have had some delicious meals, unfortunately with enough by-product to make up for the depletion of the North Sea gas fields.

So this is really a harvesting/cooking question. Do you and Steph have a strategy that works? I have read about slow cooking, stir frying, pickling (not appealing to me), and leaving them in the ground until the frosts have broken down the inulin.

Thank you very much

John

compostpope
    Participant

In her TV series “The Edible Garden” Alys Fowler recomends cooking them with winter savoury. You can see it on Youtube, and, if I have mastered the technology – here is the link!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-nKo-RdSTk

I don’t think that’s been too successful, the relevant bit is…

or you can just search for “fartichokes” on youtube, I’m sure it will get you there.

CP

charles

Yes this is an issue for sure, and I plan to try cooking with winter savoury, also adding cumin is reckoned to help. I hope so because they are so delicious!

Mad4fev
    Participant

Completely agree about how delicious they are! Must try them with cumin and I’d better try and get some winter savoury seeds.

I thoroughly recommend Delia S’s recipe for carrot and artichoke soup. And on that note I’m off to dig a few up to make some.

John
    Participant

Thank you all for the comments. I tried a stir fry of very thin slices last night and I think the effects were less dramatic. My wife thinks otherwise!

I am hoping that a Darwinian adaptation to new environments will apply to my gut and, by the time we have eaten the expected 40kg harvest, all will be sweetness and light.

lizcolvin
    Participant

If the American Gut Project is to be believed, the answer is to eat them for a fortnight [presumably not daily] and one’s gut bacteria will adjust.

John
    Participant

We finished our Jerusalem Artichokes a month or so ago and, keen to use allotment produce, we took a chance serving them to four couples for a dinner party. They all reported back that there were no side effects. Perhaps time alone has converted much of the inulin to fructose and saving them for the end of the season is the way to go to avoid gas. Personally I would prefer to eat them throughout the season and live with the consequences but perhaps avoid serving them at an Autumn dinner party!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags