Just need the nod before I start…

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground Just need the nod before I start…

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  ruth noble 7 years ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

patrickstubbs
    Participant

I’ve just taken on my first allotment and want to fully embrace no dig.

There is a lot of couch grass, dock and a bit of bindweed.

I’d be really grateful for any input to how I have decided to tackle it. Just need to know that I am on the right track, or if I am missing anything.

(1) I have already dug over about a quarter of the plot, so that is fine, I will just top up with compost from now on.

(2) I will cover the areas that have couch grass with black plastic. But….I would much rather use cardboard as it is free and degrades! There is a blog article by Charles that mentions three ways of tackling a new area and he says to use plastic if there is a lot of couch, etc. However, he also mentioned in the forum that he cleared a couch infested area by using cardboard and replacing it every 3 months.

So…can I use cardboard instead of plastic?

(3) I’ll add as much compost, manure, etc to the ground before adding the layer of cardboard (or plastic!).

(4) I won’t touch this covered area for a few months.

(5) I’ll make beds slightly raised, but will have just soil…i.e. no wooden edges etc. I like the look of wooden edged beds, but can’t see the point to be honest.

(6) I can’t decide on paths. I like the idea of laying cardboard down and having woodchip on top, although I understand the main issue with this is more slugs. I do have a fruit cage that is covered with card and woodchip and I love how easy it is to keep clear, and it looks good! So, should I go with this, or should I keep paths as soil? Then I can just hoe them once a week.

Is it really that easy? The only difficulty with no dig for an allotment, as far as I can see is sourcing the large quantity of compost needed.

Thanks very much.

charles

Sorry no time for these details and many of the answers are on the starting
    No dig banner and yes to cardboard and enjoy trying some things!

Khadeejah
    Participant

I am in the same boat, first plot and all.

REMOVED BRAMBLES AND DOCKS, as was mentioned and a few large thistles.

In the process of making the ground even as it seems a plough has been over in the past, huge ditches and very uneven ground.

I wanted to ask how long does three sheets of cardboard take to decompose as I am going away for a month and don’t want to come back to unwanted plants grow back.

Many thanks and happy growing

ruth noble
    Participant

Hi Khadeejah,
    It takes ages for the cardboard to break down.
    I have had the cardboard on top and underneath (two different gardens). When it is on top it tends to dry out and can blow away so it needs to be weighed down. When it is underneath compost, it stays put. I put a maybe 2 inch layer of mushroom compost over cardboard in January and the cardboard is still there underneath but there are loads of worms in action and only dandelions have poked through.
    I think just go for it. Charles knows what he is talking about and it will work, strange and all as it may seem to some gardeners.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags