Kale

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  charles 8 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

ElizaD
    Participant

For the past three years I have grown Redbor kale and a green curly kale and have always picked as I pick my lettuce – from the bottom up. I pick like this through autumn and winter and in spring I harvest new small leaves for salads from anywhere on the plant . I also take the flowering shoots before they turn yellow and flower.

Just recently I read that you should pick from the top of the plant in autumn thereby encouraging more side shoots to grow. Really? Can someone advise if this is a better way of going about things?

I’ve also been given two cuttings of Taunton Deane kale this week and if someone can tell me just where in my small plot I can squeeze them in I would be most grateful! Seriously though, I would like to know how much room to allow them if I manage to find somewhere.

charles

Side-shoots appear in spring so cutting the top in autumn is premature.
    Taunton Deane grows huge and takes more space each year esp. rooting a fair way under paths to adjacent beds so start like normal kale then year two give another 15-20cm clear space around.

ElizaD
    Participant

Thank you Charles. This is the second time now I have read about harvesting from the top of the plants in autumn, can’t see the kale lasting very long this way! My plants generally last until the first week or so in May when they break into full flower and I remove them to make way for another crop.

The Taunton Deane kale is going to be a problem then and I may try to find a spot in a border for one plant only. Can’t really use up all this space in my veg beds.

bluebell
    Participant

I am experimenting with growing Taunton Deane in a pot. don’t know if it will like it but thought it may make it a bit more manageable.

ElizaD
    Participant

Now there’s an idea, bluebell!

andreagillian
    Participant

I mistakenly planted black kale and curly kale plants too early..I think April. I had lots of space and saw plants for sale. my question is, will they continue into winter? I do not have space to pant another batch.

charles

Yes they should keep going especially if they have enough space to grow nice and big. Spring planting is fine for kale. Summer planting is if you want to grow something else first.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags