Land cress

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  bluebell 9 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

bluebell
    Participant

Has anyone else had trouble getting land cress to germinate? Last year I had none, so bought new seed and this year again nothing. Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

devonstew
    Participant

I have often had poor germination, but also success….can’t say why particularly though. did you drill or sow into modules?

bluebell
    Participant

So I guess the best thing to do is just keep regular showings?

charles

Mine has taken a long time to emerge, up to two weeks, even though it was this year’s purchase (which does not guarantee fresh seed…) so I am thinking to save my own seed next spring.

bluebell
    Participant

I have had one tray sown 3 weeks which has produced one plant and a second tray sown 10 days which has not yet shown. I didnt succeed at all last year and was really looking forward to it in my winter salads as it is my favourite. So I will try to sow some more this week ad hope that between them I will end up with enough plants.

dan hazelrowan
    Participant

Yes my land cress this year is very dubious, old seed from last year and new seed from this year both

Just a few weak seedlings emerging from a thick sowing in a tray, not helped by pricking out into an recent abysmal (the worst yet) batch of new horizons which has grown a few trays of tiny yellow seedlings!  So I have had to plant out really small plants, luckily once out in the ground they perk up quickly and then growth has been good…

Pricking out and sowing into my own compost now and difference is amazing! Albeit with a lot of summer purslane seedlings :)

Anyway, this land cress and also my chervil non happenings have resolved me to also save some seed in the spring and thereafter when i can,  obviously a message from the plant world :)

bluebell
    Participant

Does saving your own seed actually improve germination? Also I was wondering if sowing as soon as soon as the seed is ripe would be a good idea as it would be what would happen in nature? Tried this with my Caucasian spinach and got a really good germination, where some people appear to struggle.

charles

As long as you save the sed correctly, it germinates well. Most of mine is close to 100% and what is more, the leaves leap out of the compost, they just want to grow. Partly this is to do with freshness, other factors too. 

However sometimes seeds go through a dormancy. I noticed this with coriander seed I collected in May, when sown in July it took six weeks to germinate. Sowings of the same seed in mid August came up within a week. Therefore it is programmed to wait for summer heat to finish before germinating, a great clue for its best sowing period – now!

Trying things like this is a great way to learn, i love it, seeing how nature works things out.

bluebell
    Participant

After 3 weeks I finally have signs of life in my land cress – not a high germination rate but signs of hope!

How are you guys doing?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags