Laying out new beds

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables Laying out new beds

Tagged: 

This topic contains 5 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  peat 6 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Georgie
    Participant

Hi all,
    Newbie here. I am laying out a new veggie garden (not in raised beds). Just wondering the best width in other’s experience. I’m sure it’s one of those personal preference things but I’d rather start out with something practical than have to remodel later. What do you think?
    Thanks,
    Georgie

charles

I have beds of 3ft, 4ft and 5ft width, all good. My favourite is 4ft.
    Wider beds are possible with no dig since you can walk on them and put a foot on them to reach the middle.
    Consider path width too. I like 15in/40cm.

Rhys
    Participant

Georgie

Partly it depends on your arms length, how easy you find it to reach the middle of a bed from the path.

I set up 5ft wide beds three years ago and maybe I would do 4ft instead if I were starting again. And I am 6ft 1 tall…

Sharonr
    Participant

Hi, I’m new and about to start laying out my beds in a small garden. I’m short, 5’3″ and have trouble getting up from getting down so I’d really appreciate some advice on bed and path size please, thank you in advance.

Kev
    Participant

I have created 5ft wide beds with 2ft paths. They have worked well, but if I had the space, I would have made the beds 6ft wide. I think that being able to step onto the beds is a great benefit of this no-dig system.
    I planted 3 bush courgette plants across the bed, but they spread well into the path on each side.
    Also I grew Sarpo Mira potatoes which needed lots of space as the tops grew up to six feet in length. We are in North Wales and it seemed to rain every day from St Swithens day onward, so that might explain the rampant growth. They fought off blight, though and gave a good crop.

peat
    Participant

you could use straddle beds. These are usually 2 feet wide and as long as you like.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags