leaf miner infestation

Community Community Garden Problems Pests leaf miner infestation

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  charles 9 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Suaz

Hi Charles,

After a hugely productive season last year, I’m facing disaster this year as my whole plot seems to be infested with leaf miner. I’ve noticed it on celeriac, parsley, but also peas, cucurbits (especially cucumbers) as well as on my newly planted broccoli. The celeriac especially has been really badly affected and I’ve been pulling out many dried-up and rotten leaves. I haven’t noticed it on lettuce but as I’ve only just set out a couple of new plants I guess I’ll soon find out. It’s painful to watch this pest wreaking havoc on my crops after all the hard work I’ve put into my plot this year and I’d be grateful for any tips you or anyone else on this forum might be able to offer.

charles

Sorry to hear this. Are other allotmenteers suffering there? I wonder if it is not specific to your plot, the miners have invaded… Here I suffer it mostly on beetroot leaves at present, but they are growing well and I don’t know why it us so bad with you.

Suaz

Thanks for your reply, Charles. Unfortunately, it’s hard to know what’s happening in adjacent plots as neighbours on either side are on semi-permanent vacation in the summer months (though looking over the fence I can spot some brown patches on the beetroot leaves next door)… I’ll see if I can talk to one of the other plotholders on our site. It’s also possible that I didn’t allow for the improved water-holding ability of my soil after a year and a half of adding both animal manure and compost, and ended up overwatering some crops. Last year the soil soaked up huge quantities of water, it’s possible that this year I needn’t have watered so much. In general, insects have been much more of a problem this year, from spittlebug on the spinach to greenfly and aphids on the outdoor tomatoes and chillies. About the only plants in radiant health appear to be the carrots and parsnips I’m growing under mesh. As regards the leafminers in particular, they appear to be doing most damage to the celeriac and the broccoli leaves. The broccoli appears to be growing strongly regardless, so I’m hopeful that it will outgrow the leaf-mining eventually, but the celeriac is looking sad after losing so many leaves. Yesterday I noticed ladybird larvae on the plot so I’m hoping that they may help although I don’t know if leafminers are part of their diet.

charles

That is a good point, I suspect that watering is overdone quite often, as you say the compost holds it. My calabrese for example has come through all the hot sun without any watering, looks great.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags