Leaf mould from apple tree leaves

Community Community General Gardening Fruit Leaf mould from apple tree leaves

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Rhys 8 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

ElizaD
    Participant

I read somewhere a while back that apple tree leaves are not suitable for making leaf mould but cannot remember the reason given. Possibly scab?

As my Worcester Pearmaine Apple is the only large tree in my garden and the large oak next door that I used to collect up the leaves from is now gone it would be useful for me to keep these leaves rather than send them away for composting. The only problem I have on the leaves appears to be some leaf miner type damage, so can I use them? The tree has never had scab and continues to turn out apples at a back-breaking level for me every year!

I do not want to encourage more leaf miner damage in my garden as I seem to have my fair share of this. I would want to mix the leaf mould in with my home made compost eventually.

Many thanks,

ElizaD

charles

I think you will be fine to use them in compost or for leaf mould. Its a different moth that lays eggs for leaf miners on apple trees, compared to vegetables, and many veg are specific too, so you are not risking problems there.

ElizaD
    Participant

Thanks, Charles, I will keep my Apple leaves this year then. I will miss the oak for its useful leaves but not for the shade it cast.

Rhys
    Participant

Eliza

I did little experiment last year where I put leaves down as a mulch on 1.5sqm of bed in late October and sowed mustard as ‘cover’ in early March. When the mustard harvest was complete in early-to-mid April, I sowed onion seed direct, in clumps. Growth so far has been excellent, so if you want, you can decrease your need for leaf mould by creating a ‘seed bed’ in situ on your main growing beds.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags