Legginess

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Pete Budd 12 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

rightee

Hi all,

Just a quick question regarding legginess of plants and module trays. If I sow a tray with a variety of seeds indoors (early in the year) and some of them germinate quicker than others, I have a problem that these plants go leggy before the rest have germinated.

Is there anyway to avoid this (rather than just sowing all the same stuff in the module trays)?

Cheers,
    Andy

charles

A good question and no way around it other than sowing fast germinating seeds such as brassicas in a separate tray or pot to slower growing lettuce, beetroot and spinach, and even slower growing seedlings such as celery and parsley in a separate tray again.

Does anyone else have different ideas?

Pete Budd
    Participant

I`ve never grown different veg plants in the same (albeit modules) tray but I imagine it would cause difficulties due to different rates of growth. However; legginess could also be a result of too much warmth and not enough light. If you only want a few plants, its sometimes better to buy them. I`m re-assessing my propagation from seed policy because even though I like the challenge, I feel my time would be better spent concentrating on the staple vegetables.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags