Leggy carrots and progress

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables Leggy carrots and progress

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Karen 7 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Leif
    Participant

In february I planted some carrot seed in a large container against a south facing wall (the rear of my house). IN mid march I planted some carrot seed in heavy clay soil spread with 4″ of compost. Anyway, the ones in beds have done just as well, if not better. What is odd is that half the carrots in the container have grown very tall, and the roots are thin and woody. Ideas?

Otherwise, beetroot are doing fantastic, sown in deep modules in a coldframe, planted out when quite big, the roots are tasty and the leaves are much better than card – not so thick and the stems are more tender. And the carrot in beds seem to be doing very well too. Beans are slow, courgettes slow, parsnips and root parsley are romping ahead. Kale and pak choi are doing well. (One from Real Seeds does not bolt if sown early.)

Leif
    Participant

That should be chard, and not card! What a wet dismal June this is.

Karen
    Participant

Hope your plants aren’t too drenched. Think we haven’t had as much rain as in the UK. We had another full day of rain today again and I must say the plants are loving it. Wish I collect more rainwater as all our rainwater bins and tank are full to the brim!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags