leggy leaf growth on potatoes

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables leggy leaf growth on potatoes

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  lizzy 6 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

lizzy
    Participant

I have 4 rows of potatoes with plenty of leaf growth. The last row sown are King Eds and are the most leggy. Thanks to the high winds yesterday the growth on the King Ed has been badly knocked around and some flattened. I am wondering if I did something wrong when I sowed them. The other people’s spuds on the lottie have much shorter leaf growth. I did dig a trench (sorry Charles- but new ground with nettles and other perennial weeds right in the middle – and no access to enough compost to make a raised bed..) I lined the trench with Comfrey leaves and a very small handful of pelleted chicken manure per row. I also watered the trench before sowing; I earthed them up.
    The options for the top growth could be 1. I did not earth them up enough. 2. Too much Comfrey or chicken manure – maybe should not have used both – altho only small amount of each. 3. Too much water.
    Will they recover?

charles

Lizzie when you say shorter leaf growth, do you mean shorter stem growth?
    Chicken manure makes softer stems and leafy growth.
    They will recover. Many of mine are bruised.

lizzy
    Participant

Yes it is the stems – good point. Fingers crossed for recovery – thank you Charles

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags