Lettuce seed germination, sowing rocket

Community Community General Gardening Sowing and Growing Lettuce seed germination, sowing rocket

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  charles 8 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Gorse
    Participant

Hi, I have really patchy lettuce seed germination, any advice? I generally sow it and then put in a cool part of the greenhouse?

Many thanks for any help!

charles

Sounds good, I just sowed some and it all appeared in 4 days, with the seed tray on a shelf under my main greenhouse bench. So in warmth but out of direct sunlight.
    I add vermiculite to the multipurpose compost when sowing lettuce, find its extra airiness helps seeds not to rot, lettuce does not like it too wet. Best moisten compost fully, then sow with no more compost on top, then keep in shade and don’t water until cotyledons visible.

Gorse
    Participant

Many thanks Charles, that sounds like a good plan of action to help me get better results. Cheers

Alison and Keith
    Participant

Thank you for these tips on sewing lettuce. Can I ask for advice on growing rocket please? I find it germinates successfully but almost immediately is blighted by something that leaves holes and marks on the leaves. I have read in your salad leaves for all seasons about flea beetles but I have not seen any evidence of beetles. How can I raise unblemished rocket?

bluebell
    Participant

they are tiny pin head size and if you brush past a plant they will jump off. I have dreadful trouble with them and so only grow brassica, rocket and mustards late in the season when they are generally less of a problem and use lots of very fine netting until plants are well established.
    Interestingly they don’t appear to be interested in Turkish rocket.

charles

Whatever pest is eating your rocket, it will do less damage of you sow in modules undercover where, for example, flea beetles go less. Most damage happens to cotyledons and first, young leaves, so getting plants through that stage in a protected area makes a big difference, plant at 3 weeks or so.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags