Lettuce variety?

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables Lettuce variety?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Kev 5 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

dolmen
    Participant

Has anyone found lettuce that performs really well at hand picking, I have saved seed from a couple of varieties sadly the names are long gone, simply a white and a black seeded variety, they do well
    I do fancy trying something new, also is there any bush tomatoes that are quite acidic and flavoursome not so sweet. Is there a bush pea that anyone would recommend? Thanks

Sausage
    Participant

Look for Indian tomato varieties, flavoursome but sour and not too sweet. ‘Surender’s Indian Curry’ is one name worth looking for. For lettuces, there’s a old variety called ‘Black-seeded Simpson’ that’s widely available and has a good flavour. ‘Reine de Glaces’, ‘Jabeque’ and ‘Maravilla de Verano’ (or ‘Maravilla de Verano Canasta’) all work for me too, but much depends on your soil and your personal tastes. ‘Kelvedon Wonder’ is a trustworthy standby for a pea to sow this early in the year, though you might want to sow indoors depending on the weather where you are. In March I’ll probably do ‘Havel’ too, but climbing peas make better use of my limited space.

Gabor
    Participant

I’ve found that Grenoble Red lettuce (batavia var.) performed exceptionally well for me last year. It’s recommended by CD as well. Picking the outer leaves a few at a time from each plant kept me going through most of spring and summer. It bolted eventually, but I was amazed at the rate/speed of growth in high summer. CD has a very informative video of lettuce growing where he names a few varieties as well. Best of luck

Kev
    Participant

I really like Lobjoits Green Cos, an old variety. It is a vigorous grower with delicious crunchy leaves that are easy to pick, over a long period.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags