Lime

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  JohnM 14 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

JohnM

Hi All

Pretty new to organic growing and totally new to No-dig so bear with me if this is a stupid question. Do you add lime to the soil on a regular basis if so what material do you use? If not, how do you maintain soil pH?

John

charles

Hi John

Use of lime is rarely necessary for vegetables unless you are on really acid soil, in which case you can grow wonderful blueberries! Slightly acid soil means less scab on potatoes too. Around here the soil is based on limestone so tends to be alkaline (up to pH 8.5, still growing great vegetables), and anywhere on limestone or chalk should never need lime. If your pH is below 6 you may need to apply some – ask your neighbours if they use lime – otherwise I would not worry.

JohnM

Thanks Charles
    Around here people tend to be very “old school” and add lime routinely especially as the soil is full of clay. My own tests on the soil tend to show its approx 6.5 – 7.0 which I know is about perfect for now. I suppose the best thing is just to keep an eye on it and respond if it become necessary.

John

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags